Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Episkey!

This cocktail was the product of a "moment of clarity" in which, directly in the midst of an evening of merrymaking and imbibing of fine firewhiskey, it finally struck me how that most strange and wonderful of elixers, Amaro Meletti, could be put to good use.

www.vinositeshop.com/bottles/product/0197.jpg

Meletti has always stumped me a bit. I find its floral + saffron qualities to be extremely interesting, though also somewhat odd, and not exactly amenable to sipping solo. But every time I tried mixing it up in my cauldron, I found that it lost that special quality that really sets it apart from some of the other amaros.

Try this to help it open up:


Episkey!
("episkeyazo" Gr. to repair)

2oz Applejack (I used Lairds)
1oz Carpano Antica
2/3 - 3/4oz Amaro Meletti
2-3 dashes Regan's Orange Bitters

Shake vigorously with ice an
d serve in the glass of your choice. Top with a dash of Angostura bitters. Place on the counter in front of you and clearly speak the incantation "Episkey!" while gesturing your hand forward, as with a magic wand.










Imbibe, and enjoy the curative effects.

1 comment:

Chris Cohen said...

Seems like lots of Chinese spammers have really enjoyed this mix! ;)